Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
Dr. Frattarelli provides intrauterine inseminations also known as IUIs or artificial insemination in his Oahu fertility clinic, in Honolulu and windward Oahu (Kailua).
Intrauterine Insemination is often used in conjunction with ovulation induction cycles. The underlying principle is to bypass the major loss points for sperm in the female reproductive tract (the vagina and cervix), so that more sperm may be placed closer to the “destination”. This allows more sperm to be in the proximity of the eggs. Insemination can be helpful in several situations. Sometimes fertility medications such as clomiphene citrate (Clomid) can actually change the viscosity of the cervical mucus, making it too thick for the sperm to swim up to the uterus. IUI can be useful for the treatment of mild to moderate male factor, especially those related to poor sperm function such as a low count or motility. To prepare for the IUI procedure, the sperm are carefully washed and separated from the seminal plasma so that the most motile and viable sperm are concentrated into a very small volume. Next, they are loaded into a small catheter and injected into the uterine cavity. This procedure can be performed using the partner’s sperm or that of a donor. The sperm takes 40-90 minutes to prepare, but the insemination takes just a few minutes. You can then go on with the rest of your day.
Specimen Collection Instructions
- The specimen will be collected by masturbation in a private room in our office.
- You will be provided a sterile container from the laboratory.
- No lubricants (except mineral oil) are to be used because they are bad for the sperm.
- Wash your hands prior to producing the specimen to minimize the chances for contamination.
- Remove the lid from the container.
- Produce the specimen.
- Avoid touching the inside of the container with your fingers or penis.
- Replace the lid immediately after completing the collection.
- Interrupted intercourse is not an acceptable method of collection for infertility purposes.
- Please deliver your sample directly by handing it to a lab representative.
Please follow the instructions below for home collections:
- Obtain a sterile collection container from the office.
- This specimen should also be produced by masturbation.
- Follow the collection instructions above.
- Make sure the specimen is properly labeled.
- The specimen should be delivered to the laboratory within 30 minutes of ejaculation.
- Care should be taken to maintain the specimen at body temperature (carried upright in an inside pocket, close to the body).
- DO NOT refrigerate the specimen or place it in hot water.
- If there are problems with the collection, please let the lab personnel know, as this will aid in interpretation of the specimen.